Liberty County Water Control & Improvement District #1 (District) was organized in August of 1947 after a public election on July 23rd of that same year. Our roots, however, began much earlier. At the beginning of the 20th century farmers and ranchers like The Benton Family, Frank Buchta, and Bartos Vyoral used mule and horse teams to dig channels through their property to drain or direct stormwater for irrigation purposes.
The District is organized under the provisions of Article III, Section 52, of the Texas Constitution to construct and maintain pools, lakes, reservoirs, dams, canals, and waterways for irrigation, drainage, or navigation, or to aid these purposes.
Today, the District covers 37,423 acres of land and maintains 83 miles of channels in the lower southwest corner of Liberty County, Texas. All the channels empty into Cedar Bayou. See the District Map for a more detailed description of the District’s boundaries.